Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. With the expansion of the railway from Mombasa to Uganda, the missionaries expanded their work into Kenya’s interior. The eldoret polytechnic courses pdf then penetrated into western Kenya and set up schools and missions.
The first school in western Kenya was established at Kaimosi in 1902. During the colonial era, the number of Kenyans with exposure to education steadily increased and a good number of them were privileged to proceed abroad for further education. Julius Gikonyo Kiano was the first Kenyan to obtain a PhD. He returned to Kenya and was instrumental in establishing a school in Githunguri. The trend steadily rose over the years and by the time of independence in 1963, 840,000 African children were attending elementary school.
Tumutumu Mission School, now Tumutumu Girls’ High School established in 1908. European Girls’ School, now Kenya High School established 1908. Thogoto School, now Thogoto Teachers’ Training College established 1910. Kenya began a campaign for free primary education after independence in 1963.