Please forward this error screen to 158. Most Volunteer infantry units had unique identities, but lost these in the reorganisation, territorial army question paper 2015 pdf Territorial battalions of Regular Army infantry regiments.
Its original purpose was home defence, although the establishment of the Territorial and Army Volunteer Reserve in 1967 involved a restructuring and revised doctrine leading to the provision of routine support for the regular army overseas. Regular Service under one code of Military Law for the duration of hostilities or until de-activation is decided upon. Army Reserve – or Territorial Army as it was known then – was not demobilised until 1947. All Army Reserve personnel have their civilian jobs protected to a limited extent by law should they be compulsorily mobilised. It had an overall strength of approximately 269,000. Associations took over any property vested in the volunteers or yeomanry under their administration.
Force chose to do so. As the war progressed, and casualties mounted, the distinctive character of territorial units was diluted by the inclusion of conscript and New Army drafts. Territorial Force were gradually disbanded. New recruiting started in early 1920, and the Territorial Force was reconstituted on 7 February 1920. On 1 October 1920, the Territorial Force was renamed the Territorial Army. However, the composition of the divisions was altered, with a reduction in the number of infantry battalions required.
There was also a reduced need for cavalry, and of the 55 yeomanry regiments, only the 14 most senior retained their horses. The remaining yeomanry were converted to artillery or armoured car units or disbanded. The amalgamation of 40 pairs of infantry battalions was announced in October 1921. 1,175,000 of the total savings required from the army as a whole. An innovation in 1922 was the creation of two Air Defence Brigades to provide anti-aircraft defence for London.
On 29 March 1939, it was announced that the size of the TA was to be doubled by the reforming of the 2nd line units. The total strength of the TA was to be 440,000: the field force of the Territorial Army was to rise from 130,000 to 340,000, organised in 26 divisions, while an additional 100,000 all ranks would form the anti-aircraft section. When the 2nd Line was reformed, they were a little different from their First World War predecessors. They had slightly different names and the regiments assigned were different. August 1945, the Territorial Army was significantly reduced, with all 2nd Line and several 1st Line Divisions once again disbanded. Infantry Division, advance along a lane near Caumont, 30 July 1944. In 1947, the TA was restructured and expanded through the reactivation of some of the 1st Line divisions that were initially disbanded after the war, keeping its former role of supplying complete divisions to the regular Army until 1967.